Friday, April 6, 2007

SHARING

I had this shared with me, I hope you enjoy it , as much as I did or know someone it would help. Happy Easter to all. God's love to all. Hugs,Barbara


 


I have cancer...
but cancer does not have me.
Cancer is not who I am.
It is only a bend
in the road
that is my life's journey...

an unexpected detour on my path.
It is a
lesson in the cosmic schoolroom that is 
human existence.

So I Will
pause to rest...and heal ...
and study the lesson...
before I move on to my life beyond cancer.



I will not
give in to fear, and I will not
be discouraged by setback.
Setbacks are only opportunities

to review the lesson.



I will not be ashamed
of my scars.
My scars are the brushstrokes

in the masterpiece that is my life



I will be thankful for
the many blessings cancer

has brought
into my life:
People I never would have known,
love that I had never been still
or quiet enough to witness,
humility I needed,
strength I thought I had lost,
courage I never knew I had.



I will remember
that I can still have fun

and that it's Okay -
~even healthy!~ to be silly.


I will remember
that
to find the joy in rainbows...
I must endure the rain.
And I will remember always that...
while I may have cancer...
cancer  does not  have me!
by
Kathy Cawthon
The Cancer Crusade
used with permission.

I recommend that you
click HERE
to view the "The Survivor Movie"
a very encouraging well made movie



Cancer is So Limited!
 
It cannot cripple LOVE!
It cannot shatter
HOPE!
It cannot corrode
FAITH!
It cannot destroy
CONFIDENCE!
It cannot kill
FRIENDSHIP!
It cannot shut out
MEMORIES!
It cannot silence
COURAGE!
It cannot invade the
SOUL!
It cannot destroy
PEACE!
It cannot quench the
SPIRIT!
It cannot lessen the
POWER OF THE RESURRECTION!!
 
IT CANNOT STEAL ETERNAL LIFE!!!
 
Our greatest enemy is not disease, but despair.  Keep trusting God's love so your Spirit will remain strong.  If cancer has invaded your life, refuse to let it touch your Spirit!  Your body can be severely afflicted and you might have great struggles, but if you keep trusting in God's love your Spirit will remain strong.
 
"fear not them which kill the body,
but are not able to kill the soul."
Matthew 10:28
 
Victim or Survivor
 
Although the definition said, "a cancer survivor is anyone who has ever been diagnosed with cancer and is alive today."  The first time I read it, I didn't feel like a cancer survivor.  Cancer victim seemed a much more accurate term.  But then the dust settled, treatment began, and I realized the "victim" thing just didn't fit.
 
I tossed the victim/survivor issue around and finally came to the conclusion that a victim and a survivor are the same thin - - almost.  The differences are subtle, but at the same time enormous.  The first thing I realized is that a survivor is a victim with an attitude.  After I understood that, things were a little better.  I had a choice about something - I could be a cancer victim or a cancer survivor.  I liked the idea of having an attitude and I liked the sound of being a survivor.
 
Next, I thought about a friend of mine who had metastasized breast cancer and was the epitome of a cancer survivor.  To Barbie, survivorship was a state of mind.  Despite the moments of sadness and pain, she never lost her ability to laugh about some of the absurdities of cancer and cancer treatment.  She treasured every moment and faced each new situation as best she could.  Eventually, the cancer got her body; however she  never allowed it to reach her Spirit.  I think of her as a survivor in the truest sense of the word.
 
Very slowly, the differences between being a survivor and victim became clear, and I started making a list.  I'm sure every survivor can add one or two more.  This is just a start..
 
Being a victim is a state of body.  Being a survivor is a state of mind.
 
A victim fears hair falling out.  A survivor knows bald is beautiful.
 
A victim  knows about feeling down.  A survivor knows feeling down is okay.
 
A victim dreads the side effects of treatments.  A survivor wonders how to conceal his membership in the Side-Effect-of-the-Month Club.
 
A victim is amazed at all the tears.  A survivor never leaves home without Kleenex.
 
A victim goes to "see" a doctor.  A survivor "consults with his or her physician.
 
A victim gets caught in despair.  A survivor prays a lot.
 
A victim feels helpless.  A survivor says "thanks" with dignity and grace.
 
A victim enjoys a good laugh.  A survivor loves one.
 
From the moment we are diagnosed, we are victims.  We must choose to be survivors.
Paula (Bachleda) Koskay
From Chicken Soup for the Surviving Soul
 
 

 
~  Father, make me sensitive to the pain in other people's hearts and help me do whatever I can to ease their pain.   ...Amen ~




 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

this is great:) hope you are doing well:) Have a Great Easter and are you spending it with the kids? We are coloring eggs tomorrow:) love ya lots

Deb

Anonymous said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you.  I just stumbled across you today...My family is going through the same thing with my father-in-law.  He has been fighting small cell lung cancer for a year now.  His has spread to other parts of his body....SO I WILL BE PRAYING FOR YOU...I HAVE SEEN MANY OF THE THINGS YOU ARE GOING THROUGH....

MY THOUGHTS & PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU...TRUST IN GOD!

Anonymous said...

h

Anonymous said...

This is an excellent, uplifting post. Reminds me of a book I am reading THE SECRET by Rhonda Byrne about the power of thought, the mind, and attitude.

I'll be sharing this with my friend diagnosed with breast cancer. Thanks again.

Michael
http://journals.aol.com/madmanadhd/ConfessionsofaMadmanInsightsinto/entries/2007/04/04/spring-back-winter-ahead/1499

Anonymous said...

I just found this post.  It is EXCELLENT.  Can i quote it in my journal?  I would make it clear that it came from your journal.  Please, it is VERY important.  As you may know, my husband has survived two cancers and a bone marrow transplant.  If you allow me to do this, I will tell them the the entry came from your journal.  Please let me know.  I want to do it soon!  Please reply.  God bless,

Krissy
http://journals.aol.com/fisherkristina/SometimesIThink